Thursday, May 19, 2011

Christina, Where Are You Going?

It has been decided: pregnant Christina and Vittorio Innocente are moving to Canada. Though the more appropriate question would be whom are they going to? Up until now it was believed that Christina was moving with her two children to Canada, in hopes of living with her long-gone husband. Howbeit, this quotation proved otherwise.

"'You're not going to him,' my uncle said, barely audible. 'I saw it in your eyes the moment I came in.' But my mother turned away. 'Vittorio, damn it, I told you to go in to your grandfather.' I hovered a moment by the table; but my mother rose suddenly and prodded me with an abrupt push into my grandfather's room. As we came in my grandfather's eyes shot sharply towards her; but she stepped out of the room almost at once, closing the door behind her." pg187

This passages discloses that Christina will be sharing her new life with her lover, not husband. Personally I don't believe that it was a shock to her father, solely due to her antagonistic behaviour. Once Vittorio enters his grandfather's room, his grandfather says to him "I hope to God that she doesn't ruin your life the way she has ruined hers." Unfortunately due to Vito's innocence and vulnerability he does not know what is going on. Whether fortunately or not, Christina dies on the ship to Canada, never reaching her destination. Her betrayals and lies have finally come to a halt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...