Friday, September 10, 2010

Assignment #1

“One person by himself is not a complete human being…” I believe the Frye means that although we are all our own human beings, we wouldn’t be who we are without the people around us, who helped shape us into what we are today. I do agree with Frye on this point. One person all alone is not a complete human being, yes they do breathe and eat like everyone, but they don’t have the same view on life as others, they are missing out. In my case, I would consider myself a complete human being, I do not just think of myself or isolate myself from the world. I like to get involved, help others out and I enjoy being around company. Yes there is a connection to McCullough’s’ speech, in his speech he quotes Thomas Jefferson “I cannot live without books…” You could say that books define people, ask you questions you may not have asked yourself, pushed your knowledge to the limit and perhaps even helped you in some way. Going back to the quote “One person by himself is not a complete human” One could speculate that others people influences define you as a person and push you to your full potential.

3 comments:

  1. Zach, that is a great view that you have on this quotation!
    I admire the sincerity that you've included when writing about people needing other people. Also, I like how you wrote "You could say that books define people, ask you questions you may not have asked yourself, pushed your knowledge to the limit and perhaps even helped you in some way." I never really thought about books in that manner and you've broadend my vision on that matter.
    ps- your vocab is good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you say "we wouldn't be who we are without the people around us, who helped shape us into what we are today." Every individual learns from one another through mistakes, accidents, and accomplishments. Without these milestones we wouldn't be able to grow as a person and we would be afraid to push ourselves to do better and succeed.

    -Adrienne Cascioli

    ReplyDelete

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...