Wednesday, September 15, 2010

long live dance! assignment 2

One of things that captivated me about Frye's second lecture was the idea that things like religion and cultural beliefs can survive for thousands of years, even though the ideas are outdated, because they have been transformed into literature. His example on page 19 of dances and rituals taking on a dramatic form and developing into a independent drama got me wondering whether or not any of the dances that I perform will be transformed into a play 100 years from now.
The idea that "no human society is too primitive to have some kind of literature" p.19 emphasizes the fact that literature has always been a part of the human society and although we are in a technological age classic literature isn't going anywhere... at least for a while!
I was confused by what Frye meant when he wrote about "primitive literature" p.19. In my mind different types of literature are all complex in their own way and the fact that something can be considered literature means that it is not primitive.

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you wholeheartedly that literature is here to stay, even if just through music and religion. I am not a dancer but I think it is great that Northrop Frye got you thinking about how his point on, "dances and rituals taking on a dramatic form" as you phrased it, relates to your own life and experiences.

    Also, you are not alone in wondering what exactly the phrase "primitive literature"(19) entails. I was confused because Frye mentioned previously that literature is pretty much all the same and does not evolve - so how can he determine that some literature is more primitive if it is all based off of the same convention?
    -Tessa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with both you (and Tessa for that matter) that literature is not going anywhere. I love how you took one of Frye's thoughts and related it so closely to you're own.

    I also found that when Frye mentioned "primitive literature" that it was somewhat confusing because he went on in the first chapter saying that literature doesn't evolve? Someone needs to make up his mind..

    ps. i love how you didn't choose one of the more popular quotes.
    -emma

    ReplyDelete

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...