Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Absence of Speech-The Economy of Words

"My hesitancy in speech, which was once an annoyance, is now a pleasure. Its greatest benefit has been that it has taught me the economy of words. I have naturally formed the habit of restraining my thoughts...Experience has taught me that silence is part of the spiritual discipline of a votary of truth. Proneness to exaggerate, to suppress or modify the truth, wittingly or unwittingly, is a natural weakness of man and silence is necessary in order to surmount it...My shyness has been in reality my shield and buckler. It has allowed me to grow. It has helped me in my discernment of truth" (Gandhi 62)

In modern society, shyness and reticence is often frowned upon. We are encouraged to speak up and express ourselves freely, and at times, quite excessively. In doing so, much of the time, we lose track of the premise of our vocality. When one proceeds to speak without much thought, much of what is divulged is inept and vacuous. Gandhi had the rare ability to filter all thoughts and perceptions before proceeding with speech. This allowed him to be concise with all that he had to articulate. Speaking prematurely can at times lead oneself to regret certain aspects of their utterance. Silence allowed Gandhi to gain a better grasp of his faith. Internalizing his thoughts and inclinations led to the distinctive actions against the injustice of the Indian people that he is most admired for. It was Gandhi's carefully crafted words as well as his firm belief in nonviolence that truly inspired civil movements not only in India, but all across the globe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...