Monday, November 29, 2010

The Pursuit of Happiness

“Since it normally requires both time and effort to achieve either higher income or a stable social relationship with someone, the weight attached to each individual’s investment decision thus depends upon the type of possession -money or friendship- that he or she believes will yield a larger impact on happiness than the other”


The book I am reading entitled, Who’s You’re City? written by Richard Florida is about ‘how the creative economy is making where to live the most important decision of your life’. In the chapter titled ‘The Mobile and the Rooted’, Richard Florida quotes the University of York economist, Nattavudh Powdthavee, who gives voice to the struggle that occurs while trying to maintain a balanced work and social life.


At first I was skeptical of this broad statement: it is difficult if not impossible to put a price-tag on personal relationships. However, this statement does contain some truth. Where you invest your time and effort is where you will be most likely to succeed, which in turn will affect your overall happiness. Many people choose to stay rooted or closer to friends and family, despite the economical advantages they would have if they chose to move elsewhere. It seems as though these people are aware of the true value of close relationships and of the ‘investment’ they are making.


This quotation has also given me a new perspective. I realize I must look at my priorities and determine what is most important to me. If my goal in life is to be happy doing something I love, how am I going to go about achieving this as I build upon relationships. How will these aspects interplay and support each other? For some people, hard work, dedication, and having a passion for their work is what is most important. For others it is the personal relationships they form and the love and support that these relationships provide that determine their overall happiness. Throughout my life I hope to find the right balance between these two worlds as I discover where my priorities lie and where I would like to ‘invest’ my time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion."
G. K. Chesterton

Discuss, debate, post a comment...